Friday, November 5, 2010

CHILDREN ARE THE FUTURE


Once we were all just a seedling ,vulnerable to the world, living off what you heard, what you saw and how you felt. Not caring how anyone felt about our lives. After all, they had to care, its their responsibility. Yes, we were all babies once, being cared for and fed by the ones who loved us, the ones who implanted in us love and a bright future. After all, aren't we the future, " the children are our future" or are we the bright future passed? Whether we are or not, we've all lived a life not knowing what is to become of ourselves in the future. We've grown, we've matured and we've learned.We've blossomed.


How fortunate for us, look where we are now. From being that spark in someones life to owning our own life, then lighting another spark of vulnerability that becomes our responsibility to teach well. There are however others far from fortunate and for them its fortunate that they breath, but do they breath love and care or just emptiness? I've come to realize that life isn't just a bucket of gold with opportunities to grab at, life isn't all about me, my friends and what I want! No, there are children and babies who see living as a pain, and prays for an end instead of a better life.

For my service to the community, some would say it would be rather best on my part to partake in a service that would benefit me in the long run; service in the law firm or at a media center, something geared towards giving me a better future. But time had caught up with me and my last resort was to accompany my friends to the Tropical Medicine Research Unit, to some a baby ward, where babies just like I once was are treated for sickness. It was very depressing to know that these babies to become men and women of the future are threatened by their ailments and might not live the life God had planned for them. Here I came to realize my duty, it was not giving service to the community but giving hope to the children. These children were deprived of nourishment, some because they were abandoned .I found that I possessed the ability, to not only be a teenager, but the ability to be a mother (in the true sense of the word). I talked with them, I fed them, I put them to sleep. I saw a common characteristic found in the babies and adults like ourselves, they hardly smiled. It bothered me to think that they are just babies with no burdens or worries; hey had no bills to pay, no worries about survival, why were they sad? Their sadness scarred me, so I strive to make them laugh and I realized each time they did they were happier, they went to sleep smiling and happy. That made me happy, I gave hope. Sure their constant crying annoyed me at times, amused me sometime, but babies will always be like that. They no longer cried in pain, but they cried when we were leaving. Maybe they thought I was their hope, that made me feel good, but I saw a hope that was lit and will only be put out by death.


I played with the children, I sang to them, fed them, those were my major roles while at the ward. But I did more than that, I prayed for them and that brought me joy. Life isn't all about me, it was more than that; helping those that needed help, changing the lives of those who had no hope. I no longer looked at the bony babies who struggles to breath, to live, I no longer looked at them in pity of their discolored skin that peels away everyday or their light weighted bodies, I saw the successful men and women of tomorrow. I guess time caught up with me for a reason, God had a plan for me. I completed my community service in success. I've grown, I've matured, I've learned and I've blossomed. Service was given to the hospital ward, Hope was given to the children and a brighter future I received.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment